Code Enforcement

What is Code Enforcement?

The job of the code enforcement officer is to ensure the public health, safety and welfare of residents as it relates to the occupancy and maintenance of structures and premises in accordance with the 2018 International Property Maintenance Code, as well as local provisions and ordinances to insure the safety and well-being of the community. Each day, code enforcement officers proactively patrol the municipality and respond to complaints and concerns submitted to the Code Enforcement Division by residents, businesses and property owners.

What Is a Code Violation?

Here are some examples of the types of violations that the Code Enforcement Department can handle.

Abandoned or inoperable vehicles on private or public property - Cars and trucks that are not in running condition or do not have current tags must be parked in an enclosed garage or removed from the property.

Animals - The keeping of animals other than cats and dogs is prohibited.

Building without the required permits - Construction of new homes, room additions, garages, fences, sheds, pools, etc. and most remodeling requires a city building permit.

Dangerous or substandard buildings - Deteriorating external building conditions or abandoned buildings that are open and accessible.

Grass and weeds - Tall grass (in excess of 10 inches) or dead vegetation that may pose a hazard.

Parking in yards - Vehicles can be parked in the driveway if they are in running condition. They may not be parked on the lawn or on a dirt or gravel area. Commercial vehicles exceeding two tons may not be parked on residential property.

Trash and debris - Any accumulation of garbage, trash, appliances, old furniture or scrap material.

Property maintenance complaints/concerns may be reported to the Code Enforcement Division by calling 309-698-4717. Complaints/concerns can also be submitted by using the online Access East Peoria service request form, or in-person at our office located in City Hall at 401 W Washington Street, East Peoria.

Submit a complaint/concern using Access East Peoria.

What if I Received a Notice of Violation or Summons to Appear?

It is not the intention of the City to fine you, as we want to work with you on code compliance. If a Notice of Violation or Summons to Appear was issued to you, please read through the notice in its entirety. If you have questions regarding the notice you received contact our office at (309) 698-4717. Please contact the code enforcement officer that issued the notice to inform them of your plan of action to correct the violation, request an extension of time – should one be necessary, or ask for assistance, if needed, through our partnership with many organizations that may be able to assist if you qualify.

Code Violation Appeal Application Process?

 Any owner/resident directly impacted by the Notice of Code Violation or Hearing Summons process, may apply for an administrative appeal by submitting a Code Violation Appeal Application(PDF) to the Department of Buildings and Inspections.

Neighbor Dispute Program

There are some neighborhood problems that do not fall under our jurisdiction. In general, we can act on behalf of the public at large - we cannot take action on behalf of one citizen against another. In other words, we are unable to handle any neighbor disputes or civil problems that do not violate public law. The City of East Peoria recognizes that sometimes residents need help to settle disputes between neighbors. The City has a Neighbor Conflict Resolution Brochure (PDF) ,  Neighbors experiencing ongoing serious conflicts, should contact the City of East Peoria and request a mediation 309-698-4717.

Some examples include:

  • Enforcement of private conditions, covenants or restrictions
  • Property damage complaints
  • Property line disputes
  • Tenant/landlord disputes
  • Water runoff
  • Trees and limbs

Report a Code Violation