About Coronavirus (COVID-19)
What Is Coronavirus?
- A disease caused by a new respiratory virus.
- Can cause severe illness and pneumonia.
- Symptoms can be mild to severe with fever, cough, shortness of breath.
How Is It Spread?
- Through the air by coughing or sneezing.
- By close personal contact, such as shaking hands.
- By touching a surface that has the virus, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes.
How Is It Prevented?
- Similar to the prevention of other respiratory illnesses, including the flu.
- Wash hands often, including surface areas such as desks and phones.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover coughs with a tissue or sleeve.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Stay home if you are ill. Most people with mild illness will recover on their own at home by drinking fluids, resting, and taking pain and fever medications.
- If symptoms get worse, call your healthcare provider for directions.
Who Is Most At Risk?
- Older individuals and those with underlying medical conditions may have a more severe illness.
- Those exposed to known cases.
- Centers for Disease Control website: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- City of East Peoria information on Facebook: www.facebook.com/EPCityGovernment
- Central Illinois Emergency Information on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CIEmergencyInfo
- City of East Peoria information on Twitter: twitter.com/EastPeoria
- Central Illinois Emergency Information on Twitter: twitter.com/CIEmergencyInfo
- Tazewell County Health Department: www.tazewellhealth.org
- Peoria County Health Department: www.pcchd.org/289/COVID-19-Coronavirus
- Illinois Coronavirus Hotline: 1-800-889-3931 or email DPH.SICK@ILLINOIS.Gov with questions,(There may be a wait so it is suggested trying the online sites first see if you can find answers to your questions.)
- United Way: 2-1-1